In today’s online market, the competition is fierce. Millions are investing in SEO and AdWords campaigns as companies fight it out for first place within the Google rankings. So why is it that once you’ve got the top spot and the visitor stats are rocketing, the sales stats are not?
Online retailers are continuing to make the same mistakes and with an average conversion rate of only 5%, it’s time to make some changes. So once they are on your product page, what can you do to convince the remaining 95% of visitors to stay there? It’s actually quite simple – you just need to find out what customers want and give it to them.
This survey, published in 2013 by the IFH in Cologne in cooperation with the parcel delivery company Hermes Group, interviewed online shoppers about what they considered to be the most important features of product pages. Take a look at the survey and afterwards, scan your own product page: is there something that you could improve? Here are 4 features that you can’t ignore if you want to capture a prospect’s attention and convince them to complete their purchase.

Need 1: Detailed and extensive information about your product

You sell great products and your customer should be aware of this. Poor descriptions frighten nearly two thirds of potential buyers 1, so a detailed description of all of your product’s benefits is the best way to show your prospect that your product is the best choice for them. Your description should answer any question a customer might have about your product, but be careful: this doesn’t mean you should write a long story, nor copy and paste the manufacturers’ information. Instead, use bullet points to provide a quick and clear description about the product’s features.

Need 2: State availability, shipping terms and delivery times

In the following situations, imagine that you are a potential customer. Situation 1: you are searching for a present for your friend’s birthday party coming up next week. Situation 2: the weather forecast is talking about an onset of cold weather and you don’t own a pair of warm winter gloves. In both situations, information about product availability and delivery is very important. If you aren’t sure whether the gift or the gloves will arrive on time, you won’t buy anything at all. So how can you use this example to keep customers interested when they visit your product page? Give concrete information about whether or not the product is available, the delivery date, and shipping terms.

Need 3: Product pictures and high quality product videos

The first impression is the most important. According to the survey mentioned above, appealing presentation is a key factor that can’t be missed for 63% of shoppers. For this reason, market leaders such as amazon conducted research and found out that images do, indeed, make a difference. Pictures make it much easier for customers to find, evaluate and ultimately, purchase products. All in all, it is a better shopping experience. However, being one online shop out of thousands using similar techniques, your goal is to stand out from your competitors: the best way for you to do this is to use high quality product videos. DemoUp’s statistics prove that high quality product videos, which have been professionally integrated in your product page, could increase your conversation rate by up to 64,7 %.


Need 4: Trustworthy ratings, recommendations and reviews from other customers on your product page

Last but not least, including the three ‘R’s within your product page is an extremely effective way of influencing the shopper’s final purchasing decision: 88% of potential consumers trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations.2 In fact, WPSell administrators reported that the average order value of online shops including the three ‘R’s increased to 42%, whilst online shops without reported an average of only 6%.
But why does this matter? Because potential customers take a look at product ratings to see whether the product is worth paying attention to. Moreover, reviews are user generated content, thus they provide honest and more reliable feedback.  If a few critical reviews appear, don’t be afraid. Publishing negative reviews visibly on your website proves that these reviews and recommendations are genuine.
Another benefit: it helps you in terms of SEO. New reviews and recommendations will be updated on your homepage constantly, and Google is increasingly looking for such content while indexing your e-commerce site.
reviews in e-commerce

Never stop optimising!

To summarise, optimising your product page is an ongoing, never ending process. It shouldn’t be forgotten if want your online shop to be a success, since today’s shopper’s needs are changing with the times. To put it simply: researching and improving your site continuously should be your ultimate goal.

Videos in Ecommerce

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *